- Cast: Anna Q. Nilsson | Charles A. Post | Frank Jonasson | James Kirkwood | Joseph Kilgour | Lorimer Johnston | Mabel Van Buren | Mary Mersch | Raymond Hatton | Sheldon Lewis
- Directors: George Melford
- Project Name The Top of the World
- Product Types: Photo Prints | Reprints
- Lines: Hit Pictures
- Genres: Drama
- Studios: Famous Players Lasky Corporation | Pabst Brewing Company | Paramount Pictures
- Original Release Date: February 9, 1925
- Visit our poster shop POSTER CRUSH: Art & Creativity | Comics & Fantasy Art | Events | Gaming | Movies & TV | Music | Sports
- Visit our photo gallery HIT PICTURES: Aerial | Animal | Architectural | Black and White | Cityscape | Creativity | Entertainment | Event | Landscape | Photojournalism | Portrait | Sexy and Erotic | Sport | Transportation
- This photo print is created with a high-end Epson Stylus Pro 3880 using the highest quality UltraChrome K3 Archival Pigment Inks on Professional Photo Paper.
- Prints are made directly from a super-high resolution scan of the original source negative, unless otherwise noted in the listing description.
- Photo colors may vary slightly due to differences in monitors or device screens.
- Watermark will not appear on your photo.
- This item is sold as a collectible with no rights given or implied. We own the copyright to this image or own the original source negative. We also print public domain images and use a variety of sources for them, never knowingly listing infringing material. It is our belief that those items are in the public domain and do not infringe anyone's copyright. If you believe that this item is in violation of your owned copyright, we ask that you please contact us and submit your copyright for review. Once verified, we will remove the item.
This rare image of the Majestic Theatre at the Pabst Grand Circle Hotel in New York City was taken in 1925. This grand Majestic Theatre was hosting a screening of The Top of the World, which was originally released on February 9, 1925 by Paramount Pictures and the Famous Players Lasky Corporation.
It’s interesting, though not unheard of, to find a movie theater that was situated inside of a major hotel. What’s even more interesting to me was finding out the Pabst Brewing Company – makers of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer – owned and operated a hotel chain that included multiple locations in New York City.
The Majestic Theatre was located at 5 Columbus Circle in New York City. Over it’s years of operation, the cinema was also known as the International Theatre, Park Theatre, Minsky’s Park Music Hall, Cosmopolitan Theatre, Ufa Cosmopolitan Theatre, and the Theatre of Young America. A closer look at the photo indicates that “Messrs. Shubert & Wilbur Proprietors and Managers,” an indication of the Shubert Brothers Theater Company ownership at the time. The Majestic was also operated by Loew’s and UFA at some point in it’s life span.
Released in 1925, The Top of the World was directed by George Melford and and starred James Kirkwood, Anna Q. Nilsson, Joseph Kilgour, Mary Mersch, Raymond Hatton, Sheldon Lewis, Charles A. Post, Mabel Van Buren, Frank Jonasson, and Lorimer Johnston.
A print ad tagline from Daily Star indictaed the film centered on “A Strange Dramatic Struggle Involving Two Men and One girl Out on the Mysterious Sinister African Veldt, in which Ruthless Nature Plays a Grim and Unexpected Part”.
Pabst Grand Circle Hotel was one of the Victorian-style buildings that once defined Columbus Circle. None have survived the development of that area of New York City. Pabst Grand Circle Hotel and the Majestic Theatre were built for the Pabst Brewing Company in 1903. The complex was demolished in 1954 and replaced by the New York Coliseum, a convention center that was in turn demolished in 2000. Today, this is the site of the Time Warner Center.
- Material: Semi-Gloss Photo Paper
- Size: 11 x 8.5 in / 19 x13 in
- People / Bands: Anna Q. Nilsson | Charles A. Post | Frank Jonasson | George Melford | James Kirkwood | Joseph Kilgour | Lorimer Johnston | Mabel Van Buren | Mary Mersch | Raymond Hatton | Sheldon Lewis
- Shows / Movies: The Top of the World
- Genres: Drama
- Companies: Famous Players Lasky Corporation | Pabst Brewing Company | Paramount Pictures
- Product Types: Hit Pictures > Photo Prints > Reprints
- Art/Photo Types: Cityscape > City Views | Entertainment > Movie Theater