“Never give up, never surrender!”
Kind of ironic that I’m reviewing the new Galaxy Quest DVD, just after watching the newest edition of the franchise it spoofs…in IMAX no less. But while the new Star Trek takes its place among the greatest science fiction epics ever made, Galaxy Quest may be one of the funniest and brilliant sci-fi spoofs ever released.
On May 12th, 2009, Paramount Home Entertainment will release the cult comedy in a brand new Deluxe Edition DVD, with lots of great new bonus features. The cast, including Tim Allen (Wild Hogs), Sigourney Weaver (Baby Mama), Alan Rickman (Sweeney Todd), Tony Shalhoub (Monk), Sam Rockwell (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind), Enrico Colantoni (Just Shoot Me), Daryl Mitchell (Ed) and Justin Long (He’s Just Not That Into You), is just as funny today as they were ten years ago when Galaxy Quest was released in theaters.
The Galaxy Quest plot follows the cast of a cornball 1980s sci-fi TV show aptly named “Galaxy Quest”. Years after going off the air, the show still has an active following that turn out for yearly cons, dressed in costume and spending hours discussing the show. The cast hasn’t been able to establish themselves outside of their show personas, and are relegated to making personal appearances and schlock commercials. Jason Nesmith (Tim Allen), the show’s former star, hits rock bottom when he overhears fans making fun of him in the men’s room at a convention.
The next morning he’s visited by real aliens, led by Mathesar (Enrico Colantoni), who need his help to save their world from an evil warlord named Sarris (Robin Sachs). So how did they find him, as opposed to some other human subject? They watch show, and believe they are “historical documents” from Earth. They have also recreated a full working model of the ship based on what they’ve seen on the program.
After Jason accepts that this isn’t a hoax or another personal appearance, he convinces the rest of his former crew to join him on his mission.
Galaxy Quest successfully incorporates many of the familiar conventions of Star Trek, as well as the rich fan culture that it inspires, but is also an entertaining sci-fi adventure on its own. Over the course of the movie the cast finds their true character, matching the heroism of their TV alter egos and learn the true meaning of the show’s catch phrase “Never give up, never surrender.”
By Grabthar’s hammer, the intrepid crew of the NSEA Protector is back in our solar system this week.
Bonus features include:
- Historical Documents: The Story of Galaxy Quest – The cast and crew discuss how Galaxy Quest came together, why it still works today and what they think of the film 10 years later. The studio managed to get most of the original cast back to remark on the film. The segment includes new interviews with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, Daryl Mitchell, Justin Long, Missi Pyle, Enrico Colantoni and respected Star Trek feature film writer and director Nicholas Meyer.
- Never Give Up, Never Surrender: The Intrepid Crew of the NSEA Protector – This featurette celebrates the cast in their TV show personas, in sort of a fandom short film style.
- By Grabthar’s Hammer, What Amazing Effects – This very interesting featurette explores the special effects, visual effects and creature effects created by ILM and legendary effects artist Stan Winston.
- Alien School – A featurette on how actor Enrico Colantoni developed the voice and manner of the Thermian Race. This featurette reveals interesting facts about Colantoni was solely responsible for how the aliens talked, walked and lived.
- Actors in Space – Sort of a mockumentary that delves into the psyche of the cast.
- Sigourney Weaver Raps – A rap video featuring the actress that’s mildly funny.
- Deleted Scenes – Some hilarious deleted scenes, although they’ve been released on previous DVD editions.
- Thermian Audio Track – An alternate audio track, which allows you to watch the film in an alien language.
- Theatrical Trailer
The Galaxy Quest Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, Spanish 5.1 Surround and Thermian 2.0 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles.
- People / Bands: Alan Rickman | Daryl Mitchell | Enrico Colantoni | Justin Long | Missi Pyle | Nicholas Meyer | Robin Sachs | Sam Rockwell | Sigourney Weaver | Stan Winston | Tim Allen | Tony Shalhoub
- Shows / Movies: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind | Galaxy Quest | Just Shoot Me | Star Trek: The Original Series
- Genres: Comedy | Cult Cinema | Parody | Science Fiction
- Story Types: Home Theater | Reviews | Snapshots