Much of what made The Simpsons the long-lasting phenomenon it is, becomes readily apparent with the first episode of the show’s Twentieth Season – Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes, which features Homer and Ned going into business together as bounty hunters, and Marge taking a job at an erotic bakery. The episode is taylor-made for diehard fans, and produces ample amounts of gut-busting laughter.
Matt Groening’s critique of America and its sometimes awkward sensibilities, is keenly on display in every episode thereafter in the 2 Disc Blu-ray set. His ability to tackle complex issues and find humor in major crises culminating in a banner season that puts some of the heart that the show might have been losing right back in. While Family Guy, South Park and other newer shows, may have more of an edge for today’s jaded audiences, The Simpsons still stands out as the genre’s godfather, even though biting social commentary has become somewhat commonplace for animated primetime shows.
The Simpsons’ landmark twentieth season proved that the show still hasn’t lost its charm, its sharp wit, nor its humorously crude trademark satire, and this collection is an absolute must for fans of the show. But the mediocre Blu-ray quality might not require the format’s added expense, especially since there are no additional bonus features, other than what you’ll find on the DVD version.
There really isn’t anything “special” about the one special feature on The Complete Twentieth Season Blu-ray set. It’s a five minute teaser for Morgan Spurlock’s 20th Anniversary Simpsons special. There are no audio commentaries, production featurettes, or anything recalling the twenty year run of the groundbreaking show, which was hugely disappointing.
Cast: Denis Leary, Joe Montana, Marv Albert, Mark Cuban, Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway, Ellen Page, Jodie Foster, Kelsey Grammer
- Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes
- Lost Verizon
- Double, Double, Boy in Trouble
- Treehouse of Horror XIX
- Dangerous Curves
- Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words
- Mypods and Boomsticks
- The Burns and the Bees
- Lisa the Drama Queen
- Bonus Feature: The Twentieth Anniversary Special Sneak Peak by Morgan Spurlock
- Take My Life, Please
- How The Test Was Won
- No Loan Again, Naturally
- Gone Maggie Gone
- In The Name of the Grandfather
- Wedding for Disaster
- Eeny Teeny Maya Moe
- The Good, The Sad and The Drugly
- Father Knows Worst
- Waverly Hills
- Four Great Women and a Manicure
- Coming to Homerica
- Categories: News
- Tags: The Simpsons: Season 20
- People / Bands: Anne Hathaway | Denis Leary | Ellen Page | Emily Blunt | Jodie Foster | Joe Montana | Kelsey Grammer | Mark Cuban | Marv Albert | Matt Groening | Morgan Spurlock
- Shows / Movies: Family Guy | South Park | The Simpsons
- Genres: Animation | Comedy | Cult Cinema
- Story Types: Home Theater | Reviews | Snapshots