New Regency has nabbed film rights to the Radical Publishing sci-fi comic Freedom Formula: Ghost of the Wasteland, which will be developed as a potential directing vehicle for Bryan Singer (X-Men, Superman Returns, Valkyrie), according to Variety.
The movie will be distributed by Fox, which worked with Singer on X-Men 2. Michael Finch – who wrote the script for the upcoming Medieval – has been hired to write the script for the project.
The original comic, created and written by Edmund Shern, is set in the future, when fighter jets have been replaced by pilots who battle in racing exo-suits. The story follows a genetically engineered racer who learns his bloodline has the power to change society.
Singer took interest in the project when the four-issue comic-book series debuted at last summer’s Comic-Con. Creator Shern runs Storm Lion, the Radical-owned imprint that published it. Shern will be a producer on the film.
This is the third film deal for Radical Publishing, following the announcements of John Woo directing Caliber and Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights, The Rundown, The Kingdom) producing and developing to direct Hercules.
Check out the comicbook trailer for Freedom Formula below.
- Tags: Comic Con International: San Diego (San Diego Comic Con) | Storm Lion
- People / Bands: Bryan Singer | Edmund Shern | John Woo | Michael Finch | Peter Berg
- Shows / Movies: Caliber | Freedom Formula | Freedom Formula: Ghost of the Wasteland | Hercules | Superman Returns | Valkyrie | X-Men
- Genres: Adventure | Comic Based | Science Fiction
- Story Types: News | Snapshots