On March 10th, 2009 Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release the timeless classic Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition on Blu-ray and DVD. Featuring the Academy Award winning original song When You Wish upon a Star, join Gepetto’s beloved puppet—with Jiminy Cricket as his guide—on a thrilling quest that tests Pinocchio’s bravery, loyalty and honesty, virtues he must learn to become a real boy.
To celebrate the release, FilmFetish.com is giving away a copy of the Special Blu-ray Edition of this very special anniversary edition – you read right – the BLU-RAY set! This is a great opportunity to win a copy of a classic film, created in a way few are done today – in tradition hand-drawn animation.
In order to be entered in the random drawing, here’s what you need to do:
- As always, you need to be a member of, or sign-up for our eNews, if you’re not already. CLICK HERE to do that. It’s totally free.
- Reply to this post, and tell us the name of the best animated film ever to grace the silver screen.
I’ll be running this contest through release date of March 10th. Good luck!
More about the release
The film that taught the world to Wish Upon a Star shines brighter than ever when Walt Disney’s original classic, Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition is released from the Disney vault on March 10, 2009. Available for the first time in high-definition and 2-Disc DVD, Pinocchio is brilliantly restored with enhanced picture and sound unlike anything you’ve ever seen or heard before. This classic story of magic, adventure and loyalty will be available for a limited time only and comes loaded with bonus features that unlock the doors to the magical world of Pinocchio.
The special 2-Disc Blu-ray release not only includes a bonus standard definition DVD of the classic animated film in the same package, allowing viewers the opportunity to enjoy Pinocchio on a standard def DVD while they are preparing to upgrade to a 1080p Hi-Def Blu-ray experience in the near to present future, but provides viewers accessibility to Disney’s popular BD-Live Network, a backstage pass for Blu-ray Disc owners to chat, video stream, participate in communal games and download exclusive content unavailable to general DVD owners.
Walt Disney’s second animated feature, Pinocchio debuted 70 years ago with vibrant hand drawn animation, universally loved music like the Academy Award® winning original song When You Wish upon a Star, and a touching story that made it an instant classic. Introducing audiences to the magical favorites of Pinocchio, Geppetto the puppet maker and the Blue Fairy, Pinocchio also marks the screen debut of a character who became one of Disney’s signatures: the fast-talking, wisecracking Jiminy Cricket.
This new release inspires viewers to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Walt Disney’s Pinocchio. The legendary masterpiece that inspired millions to believe in their dreams has been revitalized with an all-new digital restoration and now, for the first time ever, the amazingly detailed animation, the timeless Academy Award-winning music (When You Wish Upon A Star) and heartwarming adventure-filled story is released with all-new dazzling bonus features transport you into Pinocchio’s fantastic world. Join Gepetto’s beloved puppet—with Jiminy Cricket as his guide—on a thrilling quest that tests Pinocchio’s bravery, loyalty and honesty, virtues he must learn to become a real boy.
DVD BONUS FEATURES
- Pinocchio’s Matter of Facts -Learn fun facts about Pinocchio and other related subjects as you watch the movie.
- Audio Commentary-An all-new audio commentary with Leonard Maltin, Eric Goldberg and J. B. Kaufman.
- Disney Song Selection-Select this option to sing along with favorite songs as the lyrics appear onscreen.
- No Strings Attached: The Making of Pinocchio-Witness the behind-the-scenes magic that transformed Carlo Collodi’s popular book into a classic animated film.
- Deleted Scenes
-The Story of the Grandfather Tree-Kindly Geppetto tells Pinocchio about the Great Pine Tree from which Pinocchio is descended.
-In The Belly Of The Whale-The most elaborate of Pinocchio’s deleted scenes that remain in the Disney Archives, these recently discovered storyboards reveal a different version of Geppetto inside Monstro.
- Alternate Ending-A recently uncovered set of small storyboard panels reveal plans for a different version of Pinocchio becoming a real boy.
- The Sweat Box-The Sweatbox was a small projection room at the Disney studio where Walt critiqued story reels, rough animation, and dailies of films in progress with his anxious artists. This piece traces the history of the Sweatbox and brings to life this important part of Walt Disney’s artistic process.
- Live Action Reference Footage
- Pinocchio Art Galleries
- Deleted Songs-An audio collection of period “pop” recordings of songs that not used in the final film.
- Pinocchio Puzzles-Hosted by Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio’s Puzzles is a multi-tiered Puzzle game that contains six unique wooden puzzles for the viewer to assemble. Each puzzle forms an image from the film that comes to life once they are complete.
BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES
Includes the movie plus:
Cine-Explore: Disney BD-Live Network
- The Disney BD-Live Network is just one of the many ways movie lovers, families, and loved ones can continue to stay connected and engage in their favorite movies.
- Movie Chat – Communicate with your remote friends on-screen while in a synchronized viewing party using your remote control or any text enabled device such as a laptop, desk top or any PDA device such as a Blackberry, iPhone or most other regular cell phones. Your chat session will appear over the movie and occur in real-time while watching the movie together.
- Movie Mail – Blu-ray owners will be able to record a personalized video message of themselves, superimpose that capture onto one of many pre-selected clips of the movie, and send it off to a friend, colleague, or relative. This specific feature enables Pinocchio Blu-ray Disc owner to personalize a very special greeting as never before.
- Movie Challenge – Users will be able to test their skills against other players in a synchronized, real-time, online trivia game while watching Pinocchio with anyone online. Movie Challenge is always active no matter what time of the day it is, and there will always be a game in progress.
- Disney Movie Rewards Live – Pinocchio Blu-ray owners will be able to accumulate Disney Movie Reward Points by participating in many Disney BD-Live Network activities. In return, viewers can redeem points for exclusive content such as Avatars, downloadable extras and many more exciting possibilities.
Includes all DVD bonus content plus:
- Pinocchio Knows Trivia Challenge
Original Release Date: February 9, 1940
Blu-ray/DVD Release Date: March 10, 2009