I was amazed at how much more I enjoyed Event Horizon this time around, compared to when I first saw the movie in 1997, when it was released. I have matured, but Event Horizon remains a modern classic sci-fi epic horror.
The name Event Horizon refers to a high-tech, pioneering research spacecraft that mysteriously vanished, without a trace, on its maiden voyage seven years past. But a weak, persistent signal from the long-missing craft prompts a rescue team, headed by the intrepid Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne, The Matrix and Mission: Impossible III), to wing its way through the galaxy on a bold rescue mission.
Accompanying Miller on the voyage, is his elite crew and the lost ship’s designer (Sam Neill, Jurassic Park). Their mission is to find and salvage the state-of-the-art interstellar ship. What they find, through a series of brilliantly filmed and horrorifying incidents, is the real reason the ship disappeared.
Superbly acted, and extremely well lensed by Paul W.S. Anderson (that’s right), Event Horizon, is a must for sci-fi lovers, and a lesson in what makes quality horror, for filmmakers of that genre.
Runtime: 1 Hr. 35 Min. Sec.
Languages: English SDH Subtitled, English Subtitled, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish Dubbed & Subtitled
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
US Rating: R – For strong violence and gore, language and some nudity.
I was surprised to see the level of extras included in this Blu-ray release, since it’s not labeled “Special Edition” or “Super Special Edition” or something.
- A commentary track by Director Paul W.S. Anderson (yeah, that’s right!) and Producer Jeremy Bolt, which I found informative and thorough.
- Next we have 5 documentary featurettes, which make up a very lengthy making of the film. The docs cover everything, from concept design, to casting, to pre-production, and feature nearly 2-hours of content. This bonus alone, is worthy of a “Special Feature” marketing icon.
- The Point Of No Return: The Filming Of Event Horizon with Director Commentary
- Next is a quality set set of deleted and extended scenes, which also come with an optional director’s commentary track.
- Rounding out the bonus features, is the theatrical trailer in HD, as well as a storyboard sequence narrated by the director, which profiles the un-filmed rescue scene, along with a scene analysis called The Point of No Return.
Cast: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson, Richard T. Jones, Jack Noseworthy, Jason Isaacs, Sean Pertwee
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Blu-ray Release Date: December 30, 2008
Below is a trailer for Event Horizon.