The popular romantic suspense thriller Ghost, starring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, and Whoopi Goldberg, was recently released on the Blu-ray format, thanks to folks Paramount Home Entertainment. It’s a film that deserves every bit of praise it’s ever received, and is one of those rare projects, that successfully blends dramatic and sci-fi elements, to move the plot, as well as audiences along. It has so much power, yet restrains itself, even given it’s obvious production quality, and the computer-generated effects wizardry that began taking center-stage in filmmaking at the time of it’s release – choosing instead to rely in old-fashioned storytelling and thrilling moments to keep us involved and at the edge of our seats.
Ghost is one of the most memorable supernatural love stories ever made and a winner of two Academy Awards. Patrick Swayze, Whoopi Goldberg and Demi Moore, are perfect in a film that fearlessly went places few films before or since, have dared to go.
After the ghost of Sam (Swayze), discovers his death was no random robbery gone wrong, he enlists the help of a skeptical psychic (Oscar-winner Whoopi Goldberg), who doesn’t believe her in own abilities, so he can reconnect with the love of his life, Molly (Demi Moore), and solve his own murder. The powerful New York romance with a twist of the spiritual, Ghost is a stunner that has a wisdom and faith, that sends shivers up the spine, every time you watch.
Having the opportunity to view this classic tale in the Blu-ray format, was a pleasure. The film continues to surprise me, every time I sit down with it, and adds just enough punch to make you feel thrilled with every turn.
Director: Jerry Zucker
Cast: Whoopi Goldberg, Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Tony Goldwyn, Rick Aviles, Gail Boggs, Armelia McQueen, Vincent Schiavelli
Blu-ray Release Date: December 30, 2008
Runtime: 2 Hr. 6 Min. 36 Sec.
Languages: English SDH Subtitled, English Subtitled, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish Dubbed & Subtitled
Audio: 2.0 Dolby Digital, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
- Audio Commentary with director Jerry Zucker and Writer Bruce Joel Rubin. These commentaries tend to be well constructed, and this one delivers.
- Ghost Stories: The Making of a Classic – This 12 minute featurette isn’t unique to this Blu-ray release, but well-worth watching, even if you’ve seen it before.
- Inside the Paranormal – A 10-minute featurette discussing the paranormal.
- Alchemy of a Love Scene – This short analyzes the now-famous love scene from the film.
- Cinema’s Great Romances – Discusses the greatest screen romances of all-time.
- Things wrap up with the trailer, presented in HD, along with a still photo gallery.
Below is a trailer for Ghost.
- Categories: News
- People / Bands: Armelia McQueen | Bruce Joel Rubin | Demi Moore | Gail Boggs | Jerry Zucker | Patrick Swayze | Rick Aviles | Tony Goldwyn | Vincent Schiavelli | Whoopi Goldberg
- Genres: Comedy | Science Fiction | Thrillers
- Story Types: Home Theater | Reviews | Snapshots | Video > Trailers