Tron: Legacy, the sequel to the cult classic 1982 film Tron, takes viewers back to the world of “The Grid,” this time with 30 years of technology to play with. Original stars Jeff Bridges (Kevin Flynn) and Bruce Boxleitner return, playing both their human and digital counterparts, this time joined by Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde. Hedlund plays Flynn’s now 27 year old son, who has reluctantly inherited his father’s digital empire. After receiving a mysterious secret signal from the digital realm, the young rebel is pulled into “The Grid.” With the help of the fearless female warrior played by Wilde (Quorra), father and son venture through an incredible cyber universe and wage the ultimate battle of good versus evil.
TRON: Legacy’s success as a stand alone film is merely a part of what this visual and technical treat provides. An interesting story, striped of the usual convoluted gimmicks modern sci-fi “epics” offer, add layers of meat for viewers to devour handily. By the second half of TRON: Legacy, the strength of the movie’s themes and characters keep interest at a reasonable level, supported by a unique soundtrack provied by Daft Punk.
The use of CGI as an art form also helps, immersing the viewer into the world’s detail and splendor, in a landscape dotted by funky vehicles and cool weaponry. Disney has succeeded in presenting a CGI motion picture unlike anything ever seen, with my only real issue being that I wanted to see more of everything, particularly more of the fairly effective character development that kept the movie humming along.
Video and Audio
Academy Award Nominated for Best Sound Editing, TRON: Legacy dishes out a near-perfect Hi-Def Blu-ray experience with crisp 1080p visuals and superior 7.1 surround sound, bringing to life the visually stunning world of TRON. Taking you further behind the grid, are also in-depth bonus features on the making of the film, which include creating the futuristic vehicles and the world of TRON, storyline mythologies, character development and more, along with the all-new bleeding edge Disney Second Screen interactive experience.
- Visualizing TRON: This featurette tells viewers how filmmakers brought the visually stunning world inside the GRID to life.
- Installing the Cast: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde and the rest of the stars of TRON: Legacy discuss their experience making the film.
- First Look at the Disney XD animated series TRON: Uprising: This featurette gives a sneak peek at the new Disney XD animated series TRON: Uprising.
- The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed: This interactive bonus piece gives hints as to what happened immediately following the end of TRON: Legacy. It also tells you what is “Flynn Lives” and who’s responsible for their efforts.
- Disney Second Screen – TRON: Legacy: Using your iPad or computer, watch the movie with exclusive interactive elements available on your 2nd screen. Disney Second Screen transforms the viewing experience by allowing viewers to explore the story behind the film while synced on a second device, like an iPad or laptop, without interrupting the film. By accessing the Disney Second Screen companion application on their Internet-connected device, viewers are able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with elements including 360-degree vehicle turnarounds, interactive progression reels, and more. Disney Second Screen directions and access codes can be found inside the Blu-ray Disc packaging, with audio syncing powered by TVPLUS.
- Launching The Legacy: Beyond the incredible visuals is a deep story filled with an entire world’s history and mythology. Discover how the writers and filmmakers created the complex story arc.
- Disc Roars: Watch director Joseph Kosinski use the Hall H crowd at San Diego Comic-Con to record actual ADR for the disc game stadium crowd.
- Music Video “Derezzed”: Written, produced and performed by Daft Punk, “Derezzed” perfectly embodies the spirit of the film.
Check out this video preview of the functionality of Disney Second Screen.
Blu-ray Combo Pack Release Date: April 5, 2011
Cast: Jeff Bridges (True Grit, Crazy Heart, The Big Lebowski) as Kevin Flynn
Garrett Hedlund (Country Strong, Four Brothers, Troy) as Sam Flynn
Olivia Wilde (Year One, Turistas) as Quorra
Michael Sheen (Alice In Wonderland, Frost/Nixon) as Alan Bradley
Director: Joseph Kosinski (TRON: Legacy is his directorial debut)
Producers: Steven Lisberger (TRON: The Original, Hot Pursuit)
Sean Bailey (Gone Baby Gone, The Core)
Writers: Edward Kitsis (Co-Executive Producer of TV’s LOST and Felicity)
Adam Horowitz (Co-Executive Producer of TV’s LOST and Felicity)
Check out screenshots from TRON: Legacy below.
All Images: © Disney. All Rights Reserved.
- Formats: Video
- People / Bands: Adam Horowitz | Daft Punk | Edward Kitsis | Garrett Hedlund | Jeff Bridges | Joseph Kosinski | Michael Sheen | Olivia Wilde | Sean Bailey | Steven Lisberger
- Shows / Movies: Tron Uprising | Tron: Legacy
- Genres: Action | Adventure | Cult Cinema | Science Fiction | Sequels
- Story Types: Home Theater | Reviews | Snapshots