New Line Records will release the official soundtrack to Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ release “Observe and Report” on Tuesday, April 7. The diverse and exciting lineup features 12 songs from the film, which will be released nationwide on Friday, April 10.
Writer/Director Jody Hill did not have a traditional music supervisor on the film, but instead worked with his editor, Zene Baker, and composer, Joseph Stephens, to find just the right sound for each moment. “We tried to find not just cool songs, but the hidden gems in music we love, but that hopefully haven’t been mashed into pop culture yet,” notes Hill. The soundtrack unearths several nuggets from the likes of The Yardbirds and Little River Band, as well as covers of Bob Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” by The Band, and The Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind?” by Pyramid.
The director says Stephens—a founding member of the bands Pyramid and City Wolf, both of which are included among the soundtrack’s artists—scored the film with “all the same instruments you’d find in a rock band, so there’s a rock basis, but it’s not necessarily rock music.”
Early reviews of the film from the annual Austin film and music festival SXSW have highlighted the quality of the soundtrack, which will be available at all digital retailers on Tuesday, April 7.
The full track listing is as follows:
- When I Paint My Masterpiece – The Band
- The Man – Patto
- Lightsabre C**ksucking Blues – Mclusky
- Sittin’ Back Easy – Patto
- Brain – The Action
- Over Under Sideways Down – The Yardbirds
- Dwarves Must Die – The Dwarves
- Help Is On Its Way – Little River Band
- Where Is My Mind? – City Wolf
- Babyteeth – Pyramid
- Observe and Report Score Suite – Joseph Stephens
- Super Freek (Remix) – Amanda Blank, Nina Cream and Aaron LaCrate
Observe and Report stars Seth Rogen as Ronnie Barnhardt, head of security at the Forest Ridge Mall, who patrols his jurisdiction with an iron fist. The master of his domain, he combats skateboarders, shoplifters and the occasional unruly customer while dreaming of the day when he can swap his flashlight for a badge and a gun.
The film, written and directed by Jody Hill, is produced by Donald De Line, with Andrew Haas, Marty Ewing, Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni serving as executive producers. The film also stars Anna Faris, Michael Peña, Celia Weston and Ray Liotta.
Warner Bros. Pictures, in Association with Legendary Pictures, Presents A De Line Pictures Production, A Jody Hill Film, Observe and Report, in theaters April 10, 2009.
- Tags: New Line Records
- People / Bands: Aaron LaCrate | Amanda Blank | Andrew Haas | Anna Faris | Celia Weston | Donald De Line | Jody Hill | Jon Jashni | Joseph Stephens | Little River Band | Marty Ewing | Mclusky | Michael Pena | Nina Cream | Patto | Pyramid | Ray Liotta | Seth Rogen | The Action | The Band | The Dwarves | The Yardbirds | Thomas Tull
- Shows / Movies: City Wolf | Observe and Report
- Genres: Comedy | Musical
- Story Types: News