Disney is poised to launch a series of video applications on the new Apple iPad, when it launches tomorrow.
The ABC Player app extends the reach of ABC’s full episode web player onto the iPad. iPad users will have the ability to watch free, ad-supported episodes from approximately 20 popular ABC series through a wi-fi connection. The application will also allow iPad users to purchase downloads of episodes via the iTunes store. The ABC iPad app brings the full experience of ABC’s Emmy Award-winning full episode web player to a touch-screen, handheld device for the first time. Additionally, ABC.com is now optimized for the iPad, complete with full-functionality for all its features, including video.
Disney Publishing has built two original Toy Story read-along apps for the iPad, both combining Disney stories and unique activities with cutting edge technology. Each Toy Story read-along is an immersive multimedia experience – the books feature video from the feature films, karaoke and voice record features, the voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, songs from the movies, original games, and even an interactive coloring feature that lets kids finger-paint with up to 10 fingers on the screen. The Toy Story app is free and the Toy Story 2 app is $8.99 and comes with a one month free subscription to disneydigitalbooks.com. In addition, new Disney Princess, Phineas & Ferb, Winnie the Pooh and Toy Story 3 apps will go live on the iPad later this spring.
Disney Online has built a custom iPad version of its flagship website, Disney.com, which focuses on exclusive video content. iPad videos featured at launch include new scenes from highly-anticipated Disney films The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, full-episodes of popular Disney Channel and Disney XD series Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, Suite Life on Deck and Phineas & Ferb, and a new Muppets music video, Stand by Me.
Marvel Comics App includes over 500 of Marvel’s greatest comic books, from classic stories to modern tales, featuring Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor and more of the world’s most popular Super Heroes. The Marvel Comics App offers the option to preview three pages from each available comic before purchasing and a cutting edge recommendation engine for every fan to find a comic they’re sure to love. The app also arms fans with a handy comic shop locator, allowing them to find their local retailer’s address and phone number and then journey even further into the Marvel Universe. To further enhance the mobile reading experience on the iPad, the Marvel Comics App features multiple viewing modes, taking readers panel-by-panel through the comic book in a smooth, action-packed progression using just the swipe of a finger.
In addition to the ABC player and “Toy Story” read-along apps, Disney, ABC and ESPN will launch the following applications:
- Fairies Fly on iPad – Fly with the Fairies and discover a world of adventure and fun like never before! Enhanced with visually stunning graphics and new art just for the iPad, this magical game captures the excitement of the changing seasons in a place called Pixie Hollow.
- JellyCar 2 on iPad – The sequel to one of last year’s top games, JellyCar 2 comes fully loaded with more than 30 levels, power-ups, new Two-Player Modes: Tether and Race. Jelly Car is the hit driving platform game developed by Walaber. The game is about driving a squishy car through squishy worlds to reach the exit.
- Phineas and Ferb Arcade on iPad – Inspired by Disney Channel and DXD’s #1 animated program for kids 6-11 comes Phineas and Ferb Arcade. Play with your favorite characters in three simple, silly mini games: win the surfing trophy in Cowabunga Candance, test your secret agent skills in Agent P’s Hideout, and build a mountain in S’no Problem!
- ESPN Pinball on iPad – ESPN Pinball offers a new twist on classic arcade gameplay. ESPN Pinball is packed with features including minigames, unique basketball sound effects and play by play voiceover by ESPN SportsCenter host Jay Harris.
- ESPN ScoreCenter XL – ESPN introduces ScoreCenter XL, the ultimate game companion experience for the iPad. The original, award-winning ESPN ScoreCenter app for iPhone and iPod touch devices – downloaded more than 5 million times since it first launched in June – has been optimized for the iPad’s interface and enhanced with new, premium features. These include live play-by-play, video highlights, game summaries and statistics, box scores and standings. In addition, ESPN ScoreCenter XL offers personalized news and video on “myTeams,” and the leading headlines and highlights of the day available through “Top Events.”
- FamilyFun Craft Finder on iPad — The Disney FamilyFun Craft Finder App provides instant access to FamilyFun’s library of great craft ideas for the whole family. The iPad version features includes more crafts and full-size pictures. Whether you’re looking to make a Carryall Castle or a Pipe Cleaner Penguins, you’ll find ideas for any occasion or season.
For more details and to see a demo of the ABC Player on the iPad, visit www.abc.com/ipad.