In 1989, two-time Academy Award nominee and visionary filmmaker Spike Lee (Inside Man) mesmerized audiences with one of the most insightful and provocative films of its time – Do the Right Thing. Universal Studios Home Entertainment celebrates the 20th Anniversary of this provocative drama with an all-new special edition coming to Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD on June 30, 2009 – exactly 20 years from its theatrical debut. Digitally remastered for optimum picture quality and featuring all-new 5.1 Surround Sound, Do the Right Thing – 20th Anniversary Edition is loaded with over 4 hours of revealing bonus material, including a never-before-seen retrospective documentary with cast and crew, a new feature commentary from Lee, and newly discovered deleted and extended scenes.
Do the Right Thing’s honesty, courage and original perspective on American race relations earned two Academy Award nominations, including Best Original Screenplay. A powerhouse ensemble cast creates a gallery of unforgettable characters, with standout performances by Danny Aiello (Moonstruck), Ossie Davis (Get On The Bus), Ruby Dee (American Gangster), Rosie Perez (Fearless), John Turturro (Barton Fink) and Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction).
Bonus features on Do the Right Thing – 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Hi-Def and 2-Disc DVD include:
- BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!
Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD
- Do The Right Thing: 20 Years Later: New retrospective documentary with the cast and crew
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: 11 newly discovered scenes cut from the final version of the film
- 20th Anniversary Edition Feature Commentary by Director Spike Lee
- Feature Commentary by Director Spike Lee, Cinematographer Ernest Dickerson, Production Designer Wynn Thomas, and Actor Joie Lee
- Behind the Scenes: Spike Lee’s personal video footage from the set of the film
- Making Do the Right Thing: In-depth documentary on the making of the film
- Cannes 1989 – Follow the film’s triumphant screening at the prestigious Cannes Film as Do the Right Thing energizes and astonishes audiences with its bold message.
- Editor Barry Brown: Interview with the editor of Do the Right Thing
- The Riot Sequence: Storyboard gallery of the climatic riot sequence
- Trailers: Original theatrical trailer and TV spots
Visionary filmmaker Spike Lee is at the top of his game in this film about a racially divided neighborhood facing a scorching summer heat wave. On the hottest day of the year, the Bedford-Stuyvesant area of Brooklyn becomes a crucible for the wide-ranging racial, social and economic beliefs of its residents. During a 24-hour period that changes lives forever, the neighborhood’s tenuous equilibrium boils over into a showdown between longtime business owner Sal (Danny Aiello) and the neighborhood’s African-American majority. In a slyly funny and riveting expose of racial tensions in the inner city, Lee unflinchingly confronts profoundly sensitive issues as violence threatens to explode against a throbbing musical backdrop.
Written, Directed and Produced by: Spike Lee
Director of Photography: Ernest Dickerson
Editor: Barry Alexander Brown
Production Designer: Wynn Thomas
Costume Designer: Ruth Carter
Music: Bill Lee
Cast: Spike Lee, Danny Aiello, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, Rosie Perez, John Turturro and Samuel L. Jackson
- People / Bands: Barry Alexander Brown | Barton Fink | Bill Lee | Danny Aiello | Ernest Dickerson | John Turturro | Ossie Davis | Rosie Perez | Ruby Dee | Ruth Carter | Samuel L. Jackson | Spike Lee | Wynn Thomas
- Shows / Movies: Do the Right Thing | Get On The Bus | Inside Man | Moonstruck
- Genres: Drama
- Story Types: Home Theater | Snapshots