Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release the Jason Statham action/grindhouse flick Death Race on DVD and Blu-ray on December 21st (that’s right, a few days early in time for the holidays). To celebrate the release, Universal is providing FilmFetish with two copies of the Unrated DVD version of the film for two lucky winners to enjoy. So if you have any unruly relatives come over for the holidays, show’em the scene where Robert LaSardo gets plowed down in exploding blood style (SEE HERE). Tell them you’ll pay THEM a visit next time – like when they’re walking across the street. That should calm them right down.
More about Death Race:
Terminal Island: The very near future. The world’s hunger for extreme sports and reality competitions has grown into reality TV bloodlust. Now, the most extreme racing competition has emerged and its contestants are murderous prisoners. Tricked-out cars, caged thugs and smoking-hot navigators combine to create a juggernaut series with bigger ratings than the Super Bowl. The rules of the Death Race are simple: Win five events, and you’re set free. Lose and you’re road kill splashed across the Internet. International action star Jason Statham leads the action-thriller’s cast as three-time speedway champion Jensen Ames, an ex-con framed for the murder of his wife. Forced to don the mask of the mythical driver Frankenstein, a Death Race crowd favorite who seems impossible to kill, Ames is given an easy choice by Terminal Island’s ruthless Warden Hennessey (Joan Allen): Suit up and drive or never see his little girl again. His face hidden by a hideous mask, he must win the insane three-day challenge in order to gain freedom. But to claim the prize, Ames must survive a gauntlet of the most vicious criminals—including nemesis Machine Gun Joe (Tyrese Gibson)—in the country’s toughest prison. Trained by his coach (Ian McShane) to drive a monster Mustang V8 Fastback outfitted with 2 mounted mini-guns, flamethrowers and napalm, an innocent man must destroy everything in his path to win the most twisted spectator sport on Earth.
There are two simple steps to get a chance to WIN:
- Sign up for the daily newsletter, so you’ll get the first word on all future contests, as well as film news, filmmaker resources and much more. CLICK HERE to sign up.
- Reply to this thread, and tell us the title of your favorite film featuring cars. This can of course be any car film (i.e. Gone in Sixty Seconds, Cars, American Graffiti, etc.)
I’ll run this contest through Christmas Day 2008. Good luck, and I hope all you sick puppies have a happy holiday!
Here’s the complete specs on the DVD:
BONUS FEATURES – DVD AND BLU-RAY:
- THEATRICAL AND UNRATED EXTENDED VERSIONS OF THE FILM
- START YOUR ENGINES: MAKING A DEATH RACE: From pre and post-production to the casting of Jason Statham, this bonus documentary takes viewers on set to see how a huge, stunt-driven Hollywood movie was made.
- BEHIND THE WHEEL: DISSECTING THE STUNTS: In this featurette, the many jaw-dropping stunts in the film are documented including interviews with the cast and crew.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR PAUL W.S. ANDERSON and PRODUCER JEREMY BOLT (Unrated Version Only).
BONUS CONTENT – EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY:
- U CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
- PICTURE IN PICTURE: Enjoy a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film while watching the feature.
- TECH SPECS: An interactive dossier of the cars, races, and characters.
- CREATE YOUR OWN RACE: An on-screen interface for selecting multiple angles of race scenes. Connected users will be able to personalize and share their race with buddies.
- BD-LIVE FEATURES: Blu-ray and Playstation3 players with an Internet connection can access exclusive interactive applications that allow viewers to communicate with friends and family while watching the film:
- MY MOVIE COMMENTARY: Add your own audio, video, or text commentary to the movie and act as the announcer for the third race in this exciting interactive feature.
- MY CHAT: Just plug your player into your Internet connection and connect to BD-Live to chat with friends while watching the movie and conduct your very own private screening discussions.
- MY SCENES SHARING: Share your favorite clips with your buddies through the BD Live Internet discussions.
- EXCLUSIVE CONTENT: BTS vignettes, avatars, and trailers.
Lastly, to whet your appetite for the sure-to-be action-packed Death Race DVD, below are some additional freshly released shots from the film.
- Categories: News
- Genres: Action | Cars | Crime | Thrillers
- People / Bands: Ian McShane | Jason Statham | Joan Allen | Natalie Martinez | Paul W. S. Anderson | Robert LaSardo | Tyrese Gibson
- Story Types: Contests | News | Snapshots