Amazon.com today announced it is shipping Amazon Kindle 2. Already the No. 1 seller in Electronics on the Amazon.com site in just 15 days since it was introduced on Feb. 9, Kindle 2 offers revolutionary wireless delivery of content in a new slim design with longer battery life, faster page turns, over seven times more storage, sharper images and a new read-to-me feature. Kindle 2 began shipping today to customers who were in line for the original Kindle and customers who pre-ordered beginning Feb. 9. New orders placed today will be released for immediate shipping.
Kindle 2 builds on everything customers love about the original Kindle and extends the experience to a slimmer and sleeker design.
- Pencil-thin and lighter than a typical paperback at just over 10 ounces and 0.36 inches
- 25 percent longer battery life
- Pages turn an average 20 percent faster
- Holds more than 1,500 books with 2 GB of memory
- Sharper images and crisp text with 16 shades of gray
- “Text-to-Speech” read-to-me feature converts words on a page to spoken word
- “Whispersync” technology saves and synchronizes reading location across Kindle devices
- With more selection than ever before, the Kindle Store — Earth’s biggest e-bookstore — gives customers access to more than 240,000 books and top U.S. and international magazines and newspapers, plus more than 1,200 different blogs.