The Alamo Drafthouse San Francisco location was originally opened as The Mission Theatre in 1907. It was renamed the Premium Theatre in 1911 and again renamed in 1913 the Idle Hour Theatre.
After closing as a movie theatre in the 1980’s, the former New Mission Theatre spent the next 25 or so years virtually unaltered as a furniture store. Then in 2012, the Alamo Drafthouse chain decided to make the venue its first venture into California, converting the location into a 5 five screen cinema with a total of 550 seats.
The Alamo Drafthouse New Mission Cinema opened December 17, 2015.