West Side Story has just been re-released for its 50th Anniversary with an absolutely stunning collector’s Blu-ray Edition. This first-rate movie sets the timeless story of Romeo and Juliet against a backdrop of gang warfare in 1950’s New York City, centering on a love affair fated for tragedy amidst a vicious rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks street gangs, with the Montagues and Capulets being substituted by Anglos and Puerto Ricans. When Jets member Tony (Richard Beymer from The Longest Day) falls in love Maria (Natalie Wood from Splendor in the Grass), the sister of the Sharks leader, things heat up between the two warring gangs. As mounting tensions rise, a battle to the death ensues and innocent blood is shed in a heartbreaking finale.
Featuring the famous songs Maria, America, Tonight, and I Feel Pretty, the West Side Story 50th Anniversary Edition showcases thrilling performances by Best Supporting Actress winner Rita Moreno (The King and I), Best Supporting Actor winner George Chakiris (Two and Two Make Six) and Russ Tamblyn (How the West Was Won). The West Side Story Blu-ray is also available in a Limited Edition 4-Disc Boxed Set featuring 2 disc Blu-ray, newly-restored DVD, a Tribute CD, and collectible memorabilia, as well as a 2-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray.
West Side Story 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Special Features
- Pow! The Dances of West Side Story is an all new featurette with cast members, contemporary filmmakers, dancers and choreographers analyzing the film’s famous dance sequences. This feature can either be accessed as in-film supplements or played on their own. The many dance sequences are analyzed by the likes of Robert Relyea, Leonard Bernstein’s daughter Jamie Bernstein, Yvonne Wilder, who played Consuelo in the film, as well as Debbie Allen, Mikhail Baryshnikov, and other professional dancers and choreographers.
Dance At the Gym
Tony and Maria’s Cha Cha
Maria’s Roof Dance
- A Place for Us: West Side Story’s Legacy is an all new look back at the iconic film and the impact it has had all over the world.
Creation and Innovation
A Timeless Vision
- Song Specific Commentary features lyricist Stephen Sondheim discussing each song and sequence from West Side Story.
The Jet Song
Dance At the Gym
Gee, Officer Krupke
I Feel Pretty
One Hand, One Heart
A Boy Like That / I Have A Love
- Music Machine allows viewers to go straight to their favorite musical numbers. Each song and sequence can also be accessed individually.
- West Side Memories is a featurette offering archival recordings of Jerome Robbins and reminiscences by original book writer Arthur Laurents, Stephen Sondheim, director Hal Prince and many people involved in the film production.
- Storyboard to Film Comparison Montage
Original Theatrical Trailer
Original Issue Trailer
Directors: Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise
Writers: Ernest Lehman, Arthur Laurents
Cast: Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, Russ Tamblyn
Blu-ray Release Date: November 15, 2011